ECO – NOx, SO2, Hg, PM Removal
Overview & Advantages
Advanced Multi-Pollutant Control; Carbon Capture-Ready
Scalable, Reliable, Cost-Effective
Powerspan’s patented Electro-Catalytic Oxidation (ECO®) technology is an integrated air pollution control process that achieves major reductions in criteria pollutants from coal-fired power plants, including nitrogen oxides (NOX), sulfur dioxide (SO2), mercury, and fine particulate matter (sized less than 2.5 microns or less, or PM2.5) as well as heavy metals and hazardous air pollutants. The ECO process produces a highly marketable fertilizer co-product, avoiding the landfill disposal of flue gas desulfurization waste. Furthermore, the ECO system uses less water because it requires no wastewater treatment or disposal.
Key advantages of our ECO solution are:
- Reduced cost
- Compared to a solution with high SO2 and NOX reduction, i.e. combination of wet flue gas desulfurization (FGD) for SO2 control and selective catalytic reduction (SCR) for NOX control
- Higher performance; controls to best available control technology (BACT) levels or better for:
- SO2 (for high- and low-sulfur coals)
- Oxidized mercury and other metals
- Fine particulate matter (PM2.5)
- Acid gases SO3/H2SO4
- Hazardous air pollutants (HAPs), such as hydrochloric acid (HCl) and hydrofluoric acid (HF)
- Reduced water usage and no wastewater; no wastewater treatment system required
- Captured mercury is isolated from fertilizer co-product for separate disposal
- Valuable fertilizer co-product which is sold in agricultural markets, instead of flue gas desulfurization waste that requires landfill disposal; fertilizer co-product offsets operating costs
- CO2 capture readiness, meaning that our multi-pollutant control solutions require no enhancement in emissions reductions performance (i.e. SO2 control) to accommodate a CO2 capture process, saving capital and operating costs when adding CO2 capture capability
Our ECO technology can be integrated with our ECO2 carbon capture technology. Click here for an ECO2 overview and to learn about its advantages.
For more information on ECO, see the PDFs below and visit our ECO How it Works page.
Featured ECO Project
Click here for more information on our ECO project with FirstEnergy.